The Explorer

History Club celebrates four year anniversary

People line up for the buffet of food at the front of the room during the History Club Anniversary party.

Em Masi/The Explorer

Em Masi, Reporter

His freshman year, Yuhan Kim decided to form Hudson High School’s History Club. Four years later, the club is still thriving, with about 20 members total.

Social Studies teacher Brian Mangol has been the club advisor since its birth. “You get a group of people together that have different interests, different passions, but they’re all in the same field of history, and it’s great to see all the kids work together, “ said Mangol.

History Club celebrated its birthday on Jan. 28, 2019 with a party in Mangol’s room. The celebration began a few minutes after 3:00 p.m., with Kim first delivering a few remarks about the club: “I  made this club four years ago, it’s a lot of fun.”

After his speech, he called for the officers to be the first to grab out of the buffet of food that the club had amounted. Immediate calls for a guillotine erupted from the back, referencing the injustice the Third Estate felt in France during the French Revolution in 1789. Kim quickly settled the crowd, justifying his actions as the officers dug in.

The five officers include: Kim as First Consul for Life/Emperor, juniors Casimir Rzesutko and Matthew Roberts as the Vice-Presidents, junior

Claire Reber as the Minister of Propaganda and sophomore James Tong as Secretary.

After the officers got their share of the food, people gathered along the small row of tables to eat their share. The line was out the door; members from other clubs, such as Archeology Club, attended briefly to get in line for the array of choices.

People chatted amongst each other as they ate food that ranged from croissant sandwiches to pizza. The meeting then turned to competitive as the Kahoots began.

In the midst of the Kahoots, Kim cut and served the sheet cake for the club. Shortly after the cake was served, the meeting came to a close. The officers hoped that everyone had a good time and that they picked up their garbage on the way out.

The club meets every other Monday in room A204 after school.

Em Masi/The Explorer
(Left to right) Roberts, Rzesutko, Reber, Tong, Kim, Mangol and Hudson High School Principal Brian Wilch pose for a photo with the cake.