The Explorer

Six underrated Christmas movies that will get you in the holiday spirit

Famous+twins+Dylan+and+Cole+Sprouse+pose+on+the+movie+cover+of+%22I+Saw+Mommy+Kissing+Santa+Claus.%22+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Famous twins Dylan and Cole Sprouse pose on the movie cover of

Famous twins Dylan and Cole Sprouse pose on the movie cover of "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus."

Teagan Poleykett, Exchange Editor

We all know the classics. Movies such as Love Actually, The Santa Claus, Home Alone, It’s a Wonderful Life and A Christmas Carol are all watched by thousands of people around the country as the holidays approach. However, as we watch these year after year, movie buffs begin to crave something new. In no particular order, here are six holiday movies you likely haven’t heard of, but are worth a watch.

Emmet Otter’s Jugband Christmas

Emmet Otter’s Jugband Christmas is a heartwarming, funny film about a poor family of Otters who decide to use their singing talents to try to win 50 dollars in a talent show. Featuring seven original songs and narrated by Kermit the Frog, this movie is a must-watch. If you can get past the obvious strings, Emmet Otter’s Jugband Christmas is sure to get you in the holiday spirit.

The Ultimate Christmas Present

Who can resist a Disney Channel Original Movie? The Ultimate Christmas Present first aired on the Disney Channel in December of 2001. It tells the story of two girls, played by Brenda Song and Hallee Hirsch, who find a weather machine belonging to Santa Claus. The girls use the machine to make it snow in Los Angeles, and, quite predictably, chaos ensues.

I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus

Released in 2001, this film features our favorites, Cole and Dylan Sprouse, who both play little Justin Carver. Justin catches his mother kissing Santa, who is actually his father dressed in a Santa suit. Justin snaps a picture and sends it to Mrs. Claus, and embarques on a mission of bad behavior in order to keep Santa from visiting his house on Christmas. This film is sure to remind you of your time as a child and your unwavering belief in Santa Claus and the magic of Christmas.

Scrooged

A modern remake of A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens, Scrooged was released in 1988 and stars Bill Murray as Frank Cross. Cross is a big time TV executive who needs a visit from three ghosts in order to regain his Christmas spirit. Scrooged was the 13th highest grossing movie the year of its release and, although many don’t recognize its name, is widely regarded as one of the best Christmas films ever created.

Mickey’s Twice Upon a Christmas

Produced in 2004 by DisneyToon Studios, this animated film features five different story lines with all your favorite Disney characters including Minnie, Mickey, Daisey, Donald, Goofy, and Pluto. From an intense ice-skating competition to a mission to change Santa’s nice list, this movie has tons of fun story lines that are entertaining for all ages.

While You Were Sleeping

Okay, so While You Were Sleeping may not “technically” be a Christmas Movie, but it takes place during the holiday season. On Christmas Day, Lucy Moderatz, a token collector for the Chicago Transit Authority, played by Sandra Bullock, saves the handsome Peter Callagahn from being hit by a train. Peter falls into a coma. His family is lead to believe that Lucy is Peter’s fiancé and she quickly becomes a part of the family. The romantic comedy was a huge success in 1995 and earned Bullock a Golden Globes nomination for best actress in a motion picture comedy or musical.