The Explorer

School and shutouts: Varsity’s Palmer talks life, baseball

Junior Zack Palmer jokes with Coach Buddy Dice and another teammate during their game against Cuyahoga Falls on April 2, winning with a final score of 16-6.

Ken Klemencic

Kat North, Reporter

When it comes to the theory that “baseball boys are the best boys,” Hudson varsity’s Zack Palmer is known to be one of the high school’s prime examples. Playing passionately from a young age, Palmer has dedicated his high school years to his favorite sport and continues to play his heart out this spring season. With high hopes of a long and successful season, Palmer opens up on life with HHS’s renowned baseball team.

How does the rest of the team impact your attitude during a game?

My teammates really keep up my emotions and know how to keep my head up. They make it a lot more fun to be out there on the field. I love playing baseball, and they just make it even better with all the chants and stuff like that.

What has it been like to balance school and baseball?

It hasn’t been very hard; usually after school I have practice for a few hours and go home. It’s every day and it’s a lot, but the amount of time per day isn’t too bad. It’s pretty easy to handle.

What team do you think is varsity’s biggest competition?

Probably Stow, they’ll definitely be one of the better teams. Same with Wadsworth.

What are your future plans beyond high school?

I’d like to try and play college baseball, but if it doesn’t, it doesn’t. If I don’t, I’ll probably just go to school, but I’m not really sure where yet.

What have you been trying to improve on during this season?

Staying focused and staying in the game. Sometimes it can be difficult to stay focused, and that’s been one of my issues.

How greatly has baseball impacted your day-to-day and general life?

Baseball’s had a huge impact on my life since I’ve been playing for so long. Day-to-day I look forward to it all the time; I like practicing even though other players might not. I love playing games, I always can’t wait for games. I have a really good time.

What are you looking forward to for the rest of the season?

Trying to win the league and trying to win the rest of our remaining games. Hopefully we’ll be able to celebrate that with my teammates and coaches, especially at playoffs.

How far do you think the team can go this season?

I think we can go pretty far; in past years we’ve gone as far as a state Final Four and one game away from State Championship. This year I think we’re young, but we have a lot of potential, and when everything clicks I think we could be really good. I think we could make a run if everything works out.

What do you have planned for this summer? Anything exciting?

Well, I got baseball, so I’ll be playing for my summer team. Then there’s football, so I’ve got to wake up super early and go lift and try to get ready for the season. I’ll have to see.

How long have you been playing? What’s kept you playing for so long?

I’ve been playing since I was three years old. It’s always been my sport; I love it and I know a lot about it, and I think it’s really fun to watch, even if some people disagree. I love it, I always have.