The Explorer

Girls’ track and field team races into the strongest season yet

Shuttle hurdle team, sophomore Leah Hartman, freshman Sydney Gallagher, senior Tori Shriver and senior Kalli Barret pose for a picture after competing at the Lexington Invitational. The team placed second in the event.

Used with permission/Tori Shriver

Maddie Sage, Editorial Editor

As around 20 seniors on the Hudson High School girls’ track and field team embark on their final round of pursuing and competing in the events they love, they have committed themselves to ensuring they have an all-around strong season to end their athletic careers at HHS with pride.

So far this season, the 90-member team has only had two duel meets, where the entire team competes, and two invitationals, where the top two individuals in each event and the top relay team compete.  

In regards to their performance, senior Tori Shriver said, “Between the two duel meets, the meet against North Royalton was our strongest because we had our full team. Between the two invitationals, the one in Lexington was our strongest, as we finished fourth overall—our highest finish ever at that meet.”

To prepare for upcoming meets, the team members are expected to commit to a demanding schedule with practices every day after school from 3:15-5 p.m., with duel meets usually lasting around four hours on Tuesday nights. On Saturdays, select members are expected to participate in invitationals that typically last about eight hours.

The team’s regular season usually lasts from the first week in March to the first week in May, with post-season extending to the first week in June, depending on how far the team qualifies.

The team is currently working toward putting its best face forward in upcoming dual meets, a quad meet this weekend against Nordonia, Cuyahoga Falls and Brecksville and, most importantly, the beloved Suburban League National Conference meet.

Shriver said, “We are working on putting together winning relay teams and building up to our peak before we start to taper those athletes that will be competing in the [Suburban League National Conference] meet.”

The team believes that, in comparison to previous years, this year’s team is one of the most talented, well-rounded and well-equipped for future meets.

Junior Avery Silverman said, “These past few years our team has made so much progress. The year before I was at the high school, the team only won one meet. During my freshman year, we only lost two meets, and during my sophomore year we only lost one. So far this year we are undefeated, and we hope to stay that way.”

Shriver also added, “This year’s senior class is one of the stronger classes the track and field program has seen, and there are a ton of underclassmen making contributions this year as well.”

The team uses its considerable size to its advantage, with myriad events for members to participate in. The running events include the 100m, 200m, 400m, 800m, 1600m (mile), 3200m (two mile), 4x100m relay, 4x200m relay, 4x400m relay, 4x800m relay, 100m hurdles and 300m hurdles. There are also the field events, like discus, shot put, pole vault, high jump and long jump.

Many would expect the large number of events to prevent the group from bonding as a whole group or creating meaningful relationships, but the girls believe that their teamwork is one of their greatest strengths.

Silverman said, “Track might not normally be considered a team sport, but our team considers ourselves to be one. We are all very close and work together to encourage each other to be the best we can be.”

Shriver added, “It’s great to be able to show up to practice every day, rain or shine, and know that you will laugh and have a good time with your teammates.”   

This season, the team welcomed a new coach, sixth grade social studies teacher Jeff Hildebrand.