The Explorer

Governor’s art show reaps 24 winning pieces from HHS

Senior+Wakeling%E2%80%99s+piece+features+the+%E2%80%9Csubject%E2%80%9D+of+domestic+abuse%2C+and+is+included+in+her+AP+Art+concentration.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Senior Wakeling’s piece features the “subject” of domestic abuse, and is included in her AP Art concentration.

Used with permission/Mackenzie Wakeling

Used with permission/Mackenzie Wakeling

Used with permission/Mackenzie Wakeling

Maddie Gaeta, Reporter

Yet another art show took place, March 3 that many HHS artists were greatly encouraged to enter:The Ohio Governor’s Youth Art Exhibition. It is an-Ohio only art show, unlike Scholastics, which is nation-wide. The competition is in its 48th year and is open to all Ohio schools, public and private.

Winners receive scholarships for their work and are able to gain competition experience.
Hudson High School had 24 winning pieces from the regional judging. They varied from drawings to paintings to photography. The winners were Mackenzie Wakeling, Isabel Frabotta, Ines Rossler, Mike Piel, Jacob Russo, Helena Golden, Emma Nicolai, Maya Bogoniewski, Angie Cuiffo, Harrold Pok, Cassidy Mamula, Diana Lee, Meghan Ceccardi, Alec Syrvalin, Jenna Lund, Evan Hamm, Gabriella Church, Carissa Ott, and myself, Madeline Gaeta.
Russo won for photography, and says about his work, “I started photography when I was a sophomore, and when I first started, my pictures were atrocious. Adam Martin and Hunter Gawne were my first two inspirations, and I always thought to myself, I want to be able to create art that inspires people and that tells stories like theirs.”
Golden also received a win for one her photos, and she says about the photo, “I wanted to take a photo that had an old-fashioned vibe and appeared like it was taken on film.”
One of Wakeling’s pieces from her concentration grabbed a win as well. The focus was domestic abuse, something that she is quite passionate about.

“I’ve loved art ever since I was young. I love drawing pictures of my friends and my concentration this year calls attention to a very large problem worldwide: domestic abuse. The piece that got into Governor’s is the ‘subject’ of abuse or the boy. Governor’s is so hard to get into and so many talented artists from Ohio and our school submit, so it was honestly such a good surprise to see I got it.”

Artist Ines Rossler also won a regional award and says, “I’ve never made it past regionals in the Governor’s show, so I’m really hoping senior year is the year. Making art really helps me calm down; I find it very therapeutic. I’ve recently realized that art is not about pleasing others but instead about expressing what you want to express while not letting anyone stop you in the process.”
The artists at HHS definitely spend a great deal of time, energy and creativity perfecting and editing their art, and I give all props to them for submitting to the art show. If we didn’t have creativity, we would be nowhere! Stay tuned for the next phase of the judging on March 10, the state level judging!