The Explorer

No NHL at Winter Olympics

Back to Article
Back to Article

No NHL at Winter Olympics

Former USA hockey player Dustin Brown attempts 
to score on Canadian goalie Roberto Luongo at the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver, British Columbia.

Former USA hockey player Dustin Brown attempts to score on Canadian goalie Roberto Luongo at the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver, British Columbia.

Used with permission/Clem Murrary/ Tribune News Service

Joe Collins, Reporter

The Winter Olympics are underway in Pyeongchang, South Korea through Feb. 25. Athletes from the around the world hope to bring back medals to their home countries. One of the most popular team sports at the Winter Olympics is men’s ice hockey.

Since the 1998 Winter Olympics in Japan, the National Hockey League has been sending its top players to play for their home country to showcase the sport to the entire world and give each player a break from their NHL season. That won’t be happening at the 2018 games.

In 2017, the NHL and the International Olympic Committee failed to reach an agreement. According to NHL.com, “The IOC had been paying for the League’s participation costs associated with travel, insurance and the accommodations for the players and their guests.” The cost of the NHL participation would be significantly higher in Pyeongchang than it was in Sochi in 2014. It’s common for the IOC not to pay for a league’s players’ finances. The IOC does not pay for the NBA’s players to compete in the Summer Olympic games.

The NHL players and its fanbase were not happy at all with this news. Not only does this prevent ice hockey from showcasing its best players in the world, it shows viewers players that don’t play in the NHL or haven’t made it yet. No one will get to see a line of Auston Matthews, Johnny Gaudreau and Patrick Kane for the USA, or Connor McDavid and Sidney Crosby on team Canada.

However, just because the NHL isn’t going to send any players doesn’t mean it will be a bad Olympics. A lot of the teams wouldn’t have enough NHL players to fill their roster, so they will be fine. It’s the big country teams, such as The United States, Canada, the Olympic athletes from Russia and Sweden that will have a harder time adjusting. However, these teams aren’t to be overlooked. Team USA has 11 players with former NHL experience. Their captain is 39-year-old Brian Gionta, who played 15 seasons in the NHL. The Americans’ first game is on Feb. 14 when they will take on Slovenia.

1 Comment

One Response to “No NHL at Winter Olympics”

1. uh on March 19th, 2018 11:11 am

u know how it be

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

The student news site of Hudson High School
No NHL at Winter Olympics