The Explorer

The Super Bowl brings in wave of new trailers

+++Of+all+the+movie+trailers+released+during+the+Super+Bowl+ads%2C+Solo%3A+A+Star+Wars+Story+was+by+far+the+most+anticipated.+The+release+of+the+trailer+had+fans+excited+for+the+movies+premiere+on+May+25.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Of all the movie trailers released during the Super Bowl ads, Solo: A Star Wars Story was by far the most anticipated. The release of the trailer had fans excited for the movies premiere on May 25.

Used with permission/Wikimedia Commons

Used with permission/Wikimedia Commons

Used with permission/Wikimedia Commons

Ben Lindner, Reporter

While the New England Patriots losing and funny Tide commercials may have distracted you on Feb. 4, the Super Bowl is always a big event for movie trailers, and this year was no exception.

First, there were a few movies that received a second trailer during the Super Bowl. One of these movies was “Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom.” This trailer shows some horror elements of Owen Grady (Chris Pratt) and velociraptor Blue’s relationship and, big surprise, people being eaten by dinosaurs. “Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom” releases June 22.

Another movie we got to see more of was the highly anticipated “Avengers: Infinity War.” We get to see more never-before-seen combos such as Iron Man and Doctor Strange, and Thor and Rocket Racoon, as well as a hint at Captain America’s new shield. As Tony Stark puts it in the trailer, “It’s all been leading to this.” “Avengers: Infinity War” comes out May 4.

One of the more surprising trailers was “The Cloverfield Paradox,” the third film in the “Cloverfield” series. With no press tour, no trailer, no poster and no official reveal to be a “Cloverfield” movie, this movie suddenly showed a trailer during the game and was available on Netflix immediately after the game. It was revealed and then immediately released to the public, a completely unprecedented marketing strategy that has only become possible in the past few years with the rise of streaming services.

While a few other trailers were aired, such as “Red Sparrow,” “A Quiet Place,” “Westworld” Season 2, “Mission: Impossible 6: Fallout” and Dwayne Johnson’s latest summer blockbuster, “Skyscraper,” no trailer was quite as big as the trailer for “Solo: A Star Wars Story.” With a trailer during the game and another one the following morning, fans were treated to their first look at Donald Glover’s Lando Calrissian, Emilia Clarke’s brand new character Qi’Ra and of course the titular Han Solo, played by Alden Ehrenreich. With jaw-dropping action and many unanswered questions, “Solo: A Star Wars Story” has many people patiently awaiting its release this Memorial Day.