The Explorer

Lady Explorers suffer season- ending loss against rival Twinsburg

Back to Article
Back to Article

No. 17, senior Captain Olivia Adkins takes the ball down field during a match earlier in the season. Adkins plans on taking her talents to the collegiate level after high school. She says she was sad to see the season come to an end but grateful for a great four years of being a part of the soccer team.

Sam Bashian, Assistant Editor in Chief

Senior Olivia Adkins and the rest of the soccer team finished their season with a heartbreaking loss, 1-0, against Twinsburg on Oct. 23. The girls finished the season 11-5-6 and 6-1-3 in the conference. The team is graduating a total of eight seniors, seven of whom were on the starting lineup. Senior Captain Olivia Adkins shared a bit of her story involving the soccer team and her future plans.

As a whole, how did this season compare to other seasons that you have played?

This season was better, probably the best team that we have had in awhile. There was great team chemistry between all of us. The season as a whole was a lot better and more fun because of the great level of playing that we reached during the season.

How long have you been playing soccer, and what impact has it had on your life over the years?

I have been playing for 13 years, and I have met most of my friends through soccer. It is a great way to exercise and a good outlet to go to after school. It’s also really cool to see yourself grow in something over the years outside of school.

What is the most memorable part of the season?

The most memorable part of the season was the comeback that we had in the first playoff game against Kent. It took a lot to keep our heads up because Kent scored in the first three minutes of play, which was pretty demoralizing, but we played as a team and won 2-1.

Will you be playing soccer after high school? If yes, do you have any top choices?

Yes, I plan to play after high school. Some of my top choices are Ohio Wesleyan and Capital University.

Who were the biggest key players on the team?

The biggest key players on the team had to be [seniors] Elena Vuksta, Molly Charpentier and [juniors] Lily Morgan and Jordan Manley.

Which players on the team were the biggest leaders during the season?

The three team captains: Vuksta, Charpentier and myself

Were the majority of the varsity team seniors, or will the team be as dominant next year?

Yes, we had eight seniors this year, seven of whom were on the starting lineup out of 11 on the field. It’s a big adjustment for the underclassman to take on because of the large shift in players.

What advice would you give to underclassmen when they step on the soccer field as varsity players?

Definitely don’t let the situation get in your head; always try and think through things. Also to enjoy the moment because it goes by so fast, and before you know it, you will be done; and lastly to believe in yourself and your teammates.