The Explorer

Timberlake to do Halftime show at Super Bowl LII

Back to Article
Back to Article

Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake perform during the AOL halftime show of Super Bowl XXXVIII at Reliant Stadium, Sunday, February 1, 2004 in Houston, Texas. (George Bridges/TNS)

Used with permission/George Bridges/Tribune News Service

Joe Collins, Reporter

Former NSYnc member Justin TImberlake just signed on to be the halftime performer at Super Bowl LII this February at U.S Bank Stadium in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Timberlake quoted a retweet from Pepsi about him performing by saying, “It’s official.”

This will be almost a decade after Janet Jackson’s infamous “Wardrobe Malfunction”, when Timberlake was a surprise performer. The moment in which Jackson’s “bare chest” was exposed prompted viewer outrage at the moment and many live broadcasts had to be fixed to censor out the moment. This happens a few times with live performances, but when it’s on the most watched Television event of the year, it’s not a good look. As one can imagine the FCC was outraged and it prompted them to fix the ways people are perceived and or look in live broadcasts and performances.

Timberlake, 36, will be part of a Super Bowl halftime for the third time in his career and looks to make this a huge moment.        When asked about the incident on NBC’s “Sunday Night Football “Timberlake explained “It won’t happen again.” CBS at the time of the incident was fined $500,000 for the incident.

Either Way Timberlake has stated that “What I really want to do is put on a performance that unifies.” Some anonymous students have opinions on the choice of Timberlake being the performer. “ I like him and this is good for his career.” The most common response was that they watch the Super Bowl for the game. “ I mean that’s good for him but I only watch it for the game. I could care less about who the halftime performer is.” Super Bowl LII will air on NBC on February 4, 2018.