The Explorer

Bennie and the Vikings

Back to Article
Back to Article

Bennie and the Vikings

Ben Gedeon (42), HUdson High School, graduate, celebrates on the field with University of Michigan teammate Jabrill Peppers. Gedeon graduated from Hudson in 2013 and is now playing for the Minnesota Vikings.

Used with permission/Tribune News Service/Kirthmon F. Dozier

Joe Collins, Reporter

Ben Gedeon, a Hudson graduate of the class of 2013, knew he was going to have a good football career when he committed to play football at the University of Michigan in 2013. One thing he’d never thought would happen was to be drafted in the fourth round in the 2017 NFL draft, let alone start for an NFL franchise. However, that dream is now a reality.

Gedeon came from a very successful family both athletically and academically. His oldest brother, Alex, was a captain of Harvard University’s football team. His other brother, Sam, played sprint football and rugby for the United States Naval Academy.

Ben was born Oct. 16, 1994, the son of Mike and Pam Gedeon. He has three siblings, (Sam, Alex and Gabrielle). People always knew who Ben was because of his family, but everyone really paid close attention to him, most likely because he was very big for a young Hudson Hawks player at the time and everyone called him the “Franchise.”

When he got to high school, he was easy to point out because he was 6 foot 3 as a Freshman and looked much older for his age. He got to play with his brother Sam that year, who was a senior and captain at that time.

Gedeon had a successful high school career, not only athletically, but academically as well because he maintained a 4.2 GPA during high school. The time came that he needed to choose where he would want to attend college. He narrowed his choices down to Michigan, Ohio State and Stanford University. He ultimately chose the University of Michigan to not only play football, but to earn a degree in economics.

Throughout his career at Michigan, he played special teams all four years and was a reserve linebacker until his senior year, when he was a starter. He finished All-Big Ten second team for linebackers and led his team in tackles. He also was All-Academic Big Ten.

Coming into the NFL draft, scouts liked how he was willing to get into the dirty areas and fight off blockers and stay in the play. They had questions about his pursuit speed and even called him an “average athlete.” That didn’t stop him for having a day at the NFL Combine in Indianapolis in March, 2017. He led all linebackers in the bench press with 27 reps. He also tied with first-round pick T.J. Watt for first in the 20-yard shuttle at 4.11 seconds. He finished third in the 60-yard shuttle with a time of 11.58 seconds.

His performance at the Combine put him in Mel Kiper Jr.’s top 10 best linebackers in the draft.

Then came the NFL draft in late April in the City of Brotherly Love, Philadelphia. On the third day of the draft, the fourth round began. After a few picks, the Minnesota VIkings were now on the clock at pick 120. Sure enough, the Vikings selected Gedeon to be a linebacker/ special teams specialist.

When he arrived at camp in late July 2017, he outperformed many people, even some of the starters. According to the Minnesota Vikings team website, vikings.com, Coach Mike Zimmer was really impressed with how hard he was working and even gave him the opportunity to start in the preseason games. Ben did well enough, and when the start of the regular season came around, he was given the role of starter at linebacker, along with Eric Kendricks and Anthony Barr, both from the University of Central Los Angeles.

Gedeon, once an abnormally large freshman that walked the same halls as students here and was raised the same way as most current students are, now is a starter for a professional sports team in one of the most profitable sports companies in the world, and has never forgotten where he came from.